Golkonda Fort Hyderabad: Golconda fort is one of the major tourist destinations of Hyderabad. Golconda fort in Hyderabad is located at a distance of about 11km from the city Hussain Sagar Lake and is one of the most preserved monuments in the region. The construction of the Golconda fort was completed in 1600 AD, it is the most famous of all Hyderabad tourist places. Read further to know more about Golconda fort Hyderabad and its main attractions.
Golconda Fort and Qutub Shahi Tombs
- Location: 10 km from Mehdipatnam in Hyderabad, the capital of Andhra Pradesh
- Built by: Kakatiya Kings of Warangal
- Built-in: During the 13th century
- Highlights: Sound & Light Show, managed by APTDC
- Entry Fee: 10 INR for Indian Nationals and 100 INR for Foreign Nationals (25 INR extra for video)
- Timings: 09.00 AM – 5.00 PM (Closed on Monday)
History of Golconda Fort
If you want information about the history of Golconda Fort, it is said that once a shepherd found an idol in this area. When he told about this to the king, the king ordered him to build an earthen fort around this idol. This fort is known as Golconda Fort.
Golconda Fort Built By Which Dynasty
The Golconda Fort in Hyderabad was built in the year 1143 under the Kakatiya dynasty. However, during the rule of the Qutub Shahi dynasty during the 16th century the fort flourished when Quli Qutb Shah declared his independence from the Bahmani Sultanate in 1518 when the Hartalee fort was built in a lofty structure from the earthen fort. After an unsuccessful attempt in the year 1686, the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb finally succeeded in breaking this strong fort in 1687 after a long siege of nine months.
The architecture of Golconda Fort
Golconda is a very grand structure built on a 400 feet hill with a circumference of 7 km. This fort displays the Hindu-Islamic architectural style. This fort has 8 gates and 87 bastions. There are three huge fortification walls. The first row of the wall includes the city, the second row is a double wall that surrounds the hill. The third wall is atop the hill. Inside the fort are houses of queens and princesses and houses for their guardians.
Golconda fort Hyderabad is quite famous for its royal apartments, parade grounds, royal halls and mosques. Here, among the eight gates, the Fateh Darwaza is the main gate of the fort. This door is 13 feet wide and 25 feet long. This door is made with steel spikes that protect it from elephants. The Balahisar Darwaza which was built using Nawabi style and culture is another magnificent structure. Currently, tourists can only see the eastern door of the fort.
Tips To Visit Golconda Fort
- Whenever you go to visit the fort, take water and food with you.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes during your visit to the fort as you have to walk a lot here.
- The light and sound show is the main attraction of the fort and surely you should not miss it.
- To understand the uniqueness of the Golconda Fort historical structure, you may need a guide.
Best Time To Visit Golconda Fort
The best time to visit Golconda Fort Hyderabad city is during the months of September to March as the climate is moderate and quite pleasant at that time. You can visit Golconda Fort in the evening. The weather is pleasant at this time. You can also enjoy a sound and light show in the evening. If you do not go to visit here during the summer season, it would be good because during this time the city of Hyderabad has a hot summer. Golconda Fort Hyderabad is a must-visit for any tourist visiting Hyderabad.
How to Reach Golconda Fort
- By Air: Hyderabad International Airport is 20km away from Hyderabad and is well connected to Indian cities and other countries. Rajiv Gandhi terminal is the international terminal while NT Rama Rao terminal is the domestic terminal. Most of the Indian cities are connected from Hyderabad by air. Besides this, foreign cities like Jeddah, Dammam, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, etc. are also connected with Hyderabad.
- By Rail: There are three major railway stations in Hyderabad which are Secunderabad, Hyderabad, and Kacheguda. All these stations are well-connected to many cities all over India. Rajdhani, Shatabdi, duronto, double-decker, superfast, mail, express and passenger trains connect Hyderabad to various cities.
- By Road: Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation manages the bus services in Hyderabad. The city is connected to Mumbai, Tirupati, Bangalore, Nagpur etc. through buses. State and private companies offer sleeper, deluxe, and super deluxe buses for travelling.
Golconda Fort Map
The Golconda Fort is a marvellous work of engineering by Mughal emperor Aurangzeb conquered in 1687 and perhaps that is why so many mighty emperors sought to occupy it. Hope this article brings into the light its attractions and architecture.